Watch Our Video

Financial Aid - Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Office of Financial Aid located, and what are the hours of operation?

Main Campus - The Office of Financial Aid is located at 6801 Jericho Turnpike, Syosset, NY 11791 (in the Student Services Area, on the mid level).

Office hours are Monday - Thursday from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm; and Friday from 9:00 am — 5 pm.

Manhattan Locations - The Financial Aid Office will be available at the following locations and times:


Times Square: Tower 45 2nd Floor, 120 W 45th St, NY, NY, 10036  Tel: (917) 438-7070  

from 9am to 5 pm


Note: During peak time periods and summer session please contact our office for special student service hours.

How can I contact the Office of Financial Aid?

You can contact the Office of Financial Aid in the following ways:

Via email
By phone:516-364-0808--ext 330.

What is financial aid?

For those who qualify, financial aid consists the following: (1) Federal Pell Grant, (2) New York State TAP grant; (3) Federal Direct Student Loans; (4) Federal Work-Study that are available to help students pay or assist in the cost of attending New York College.  Most financial aid resources are contingent on filing the correct forms and on documented financial need. Financial need is determined from the information that is supplied on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

How do I apply for financial aid?

You can apply for financial aid each academic year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Beginning in October, you may file the electronic version of the FAFSA at (Our federal school code is 025994.)  For all students presently attending, the FAFSA is due by March 1st of every year.

To apply for TAP, you must first file the FAFSA (see paragraph above) and then go to the following website,

  To apply for Federal Direct Student loans, you will need to first file the FAFSA and then go to Here you will need to do two things (1) complete the Entrance Counseling; and (2) complete the Stafford Master Promissory Note.

How do I apply for Work Study?

You can inquire with the financial aid office to see if there are any open positions within the school that may be hiring.  We also allow students to submit their resumes for consideration of positions as the open.  (We will hold the resume for one award year.)

Please note:  Each year there are many more requests for work-study than there are funds. Consequently, all eligible students cannot be awarded work-study

Can I apply for financial aid as an independent student?

Federal regulations define your dependency status. If you answer "no" to each of the questions stated in Step Three of the FAFSA, you are a dependent student.
The Office of Financial Aid recognizes that the definition of a "dependent" student stated on the FAFSA does not accommodate extenuating family circumstances. There may be family circumstances in which a federally defined dependent student should be considered as "independent." The Office of Financial Aid reviews such circumstances after completion and submission of the Special Circumstance Application.

Notice: The following circumstances do not qualify; singularly or in combination, as extenuating circumstances and do not merit a dependency override:

1. Parents refuse to contribute to your education.
2. Parents are unwilling to provide information for FAFSA or for verification, which is the process by which a college or university confirms the data on an individual student's FAFSA.
3. Parents do not claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes.
4. You demonstrate total self-sufficiency.

When should I re-file my FAFSA?

The FAFSA must be filed each year, starting October 1st of the current year and due by March 1st. The school federal school code for New York College is 025994,

Where can I get help completing my FAFSA?

The U.S. Department of Education provides help on-line at and via telephone at the Federal Student Aid Information Center: 1-800-4-FED-AID [1-800-433-3243]. The Center's hours of operation are from 8:00 am to midnight Monday through Friday Eastern Time and 9:00 am to 6:00 pm on Saturday.

What happens after I file my FAFSA?

If you provide an e-mail address your FAFSA, the federal processor will e-mail a message containing a link to your on-line SAR within 48 hours upon receipt of your application. You can access your SAR (the resultant document from the FAFSA) on-line by providing your Social Security number, date of birth, and first two letters of your last name. Your SAR either will identify your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) or request that you take additional action, which will allow your EFC to be determined. The EFC is used in determining your financial aid eligibility. *Carefully read and follow your SAR instructions. You are not required to submit your SAR to the Office of Financial Aid.  If you listed the New York College federal code, 025994, on your FAFSA, the Central Processing System (CPS) will electronically transmit your SAR to New York College. If you do not receive your SAR within four weeks of filing your FAFSA, you should telephone the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4 FED-AID [1-800-433-3243] to determine the processing status of your application. Special Note: If you apply via FAFSA on the Web and do not provide an e-mail address, the federal processor will send you a SAR Information Acknowledgement. It has fewer and less detailed comments than the SAR. For that reason the SAR Information Acknowledgement.  The Office of Financial Aid will notify you of your financial aid eligibility status during late spring or early summer provided all required supplemental documents, if any, have been received and you are admitted to an eligible program. Late applicants are notified subsequently on a weekly rolling basis.

*Your EFC helps determine your financial need. Financial need is the difference between your total annual educational expenses and your EFC. To determine your financial need, the Office of Financial Aid subtracts your EFC from the average cost of attendance (COA) for your program and grade level at New York College. COA minus EFC = financial need.

How do I receive my award letter?

The Office of Financial Aid sends award letters in paper format to the address on file with New York College.    If you have changed your address you must notify the Student Records Office.

If the award is for only one trimester, payment of a Federal Stafford Loan will be made in two disbursements within the trimester. Other aid will be disbursed in one payment. Your financial aid will be credited to your student account to pay for (1) your tuition and fees.  When tuition and fees, are paid, your remaining aid, if any, will be disbursed to you via check within 14 calendars days.

CAUTION: In order for a student to receive their refund check, they must have submitted all required documents to the school upon acceptance—such as the physical evaluation, immunization records, and proof of measles-mumps-rubella vaccination—as well as maintain good attendance with the school.

What is verification?

The process by which a college or university confirms the data on an individual student's FAFSA is called verification. The federal processor selects the FAFSA’s for which the data submitted must be verified. If your application is selected for verification, you will be required to provide the Financial Aid Office with documentation in support of the information reported on your application.  For this purpose, you will be asked to submit documents such as a Tax Transcript for yourself (and your parents', if you are a dependent student; your spouse's, if you are married). We would strongly encourage you to use the IRS DATA RETRIEVAL, available when you file your FAFSA application.  Additionally, you also will be asked to complete an independent or dependent verification worksheet.

How can I get my FAFSA that I completed for another school sent to NEW YORK COLLEGE?

To have a copy of the FAFSA that you completed for financial aid consideration at another school sent to New York College, telephone the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID [1-800-433-3243] and request the addition of the New York College of Health Professions federal code to your FAFSA. The New York College federal code is 025994.  In addition, you may go to  and add New York College of Health Professionsonto your Student Aid Report (SAR).

What if I do not qualify for any need-based financial aid?

If you are not eligible for need-based financial aid, you will be offered a non-need-based unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan provided you indicated interest in receiving loans on your FAFSA by answering "Yes" to Question 27 on the FAFSA, which asks, "In addition to grants, are you interested in student loans (which you must pay back)."

If I take classes at another university as well as New York College, can I receive financial aid at both institutions?

You cannot receive a Federal Pell Grant or Direct Stafford Loans, from two schools simultaneously. The school from which you will receive your degree should be the school from which you receive financial aid.

What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw from New York College?

The College refund policy is stated in the Course Catalog. Financial aid recipients who withdraw from all classes may be required to repay a portion of the aid received. The Office of Financial Aid strongly encourages you to discuss with a Financial Aid Administrator the effect withdrawing from all classes will have on your financial aid before you implement the change. After officially withdrawing from all classes, you must immediately notify the Office of Financial Aid of your enrollment status change.

Note: To determine the effect on financial aid of dropping one class or more while remaining enrolled in other classes, consult the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

How can I get a copy of my federal tax form?

A Tax Transcript can be requested one of three ways: You can go to the IRS website to order a transcript (or use the following link to access the site directly:,,id=232168,00.html?portlet=105 ),,id=232168,00.html?portlet=105 ); you can call the IRS at (800)-908-9946; or you can complete a form T-4506 (which can be downloaded from the IRS website) and mail it to the IRS at the address provided.

Where can I submit a request for a loan deferment?

Should you need to complete a deferment request, please contact your lender/loan servicer to obtain the appropriate paperwork and submit it to the Financial Aid Office

Back Next

© 2019 New York College of Health Professions. All Rights Reserved. | Website Developed By Soft System Solution